Fashion - Beauty - Lifestyle Blog

Friday, 9 September 2011

La Roche-Posay Autohelios

I am a big fan of fake tan. Since my skin is not big friends with the Sun, I can't really sunbath or even use tanning beds. When going to the beach, I use a lotion with SPF 50+, because my skin is naturally quite fair and is prone to get red, not bronzed. As I was a child, a teacher once told me I looked like a Snow White, so you get an idea :-)... It's not very convenient, but on the other hand, what I am saying to myself is, that at least I won't look like this at the age of 50 :-P.


Since I don't sunbath, but like my skin to look tanned, I use self-tanners. I repurchase L'Oreal Sublime Bronze and St. Moriz on a regular basis, but the other day I somehow ended up with a new self-tanning cream and I think it's perfect. So, naturally, why not to spread the word :-)?

The cream is from La Roche-Posay, which is a cosmetics brand retailed in pharmacies here around. They specialize on skincare products I believe. I always eyeball their products and never get anything, I don't even know why, since I haven't heard about a La Roche-Posay product that wasn't good. Never mind. Let's move on.

See the product:


The tube of La Roche-Posay Autohelios describes it as a moisturizing self-tenner in a melt-in gel consistence. I don't really see where this is a gel, it is just a light cream, but that's what it says. It also states, that it's for sensitive skin. The 100ml tube costs something about 20 Euros (but the price depends, of course...). I've seen it cheaper on the internet.


The product promises to give a natural gradual tan with no streaks. And it does what it promises. I use this every morning (instead of a moisturizer) before putting my make-up on and it does exactly what it promises. The cream blends well, doesn't dry my skin up (like some of the self-tanners) and it gives me a natural (not orange) tan. The color is definitely buildable, so you can apply it day after day, until getting the right shade and then maintain the tan with an every second/third-day application.

I haven't used it on my arms (or other body parts) yet, just my face and décolleté, but I think that because it is lightly applicable and really doesn't leave me with streaks of color, it will be good for that too.

Maybe one tip for other self-tanners users out there (although not a new one, for sure): use gloves to apply your self-tanner. It makes life a lot easer. Use either surgeon gloves (normally retailed at pharmacies, at least where I live) or (and this is what I prefer) a suitable glove that was packed in a box of a hair color set (of course, not a used one :-). Not all the gloves are the same, but I've discovered one which is somehow latex-y, but without the rubbery feel to it and it is so easy now - I don't have to worry about discolored palms of my hands or orange nail cuticle. But the surgeons' one will do too.

The bottom line: I can definitely recommend this self-tanner, because 1) it is moisturizing, 2) gives naturally looking, not orange-y tan, 3) doesn't leave color streaks and 4) the color is buildable and you can get a very subtle tan or I-just-came-back-from-the-Caribbean look.

Do you have a favorite self-tanner?

No comments:

Post a Comment